Tayport in the Scottish Junior Cup: Part 2 – 1905/06 to 1906/07


There were 222 entries for this season’s competition. In anticipation of the 1st round draw, the Evening Telegraph reported that ‘local clubs were becoming quite excited over the affair’.  As usual the entry was dominated by central and west coast clubs. The opening two rounds saw the draw regionalised. The East of Scotland provided 17 clubs, Fife 18, North of Scotland 25, 11 of which were from Dundee, which included Tayport, defined as a Dundee club.

Round 1

Arbroath Dauntless v Tayport

Tayport were drawn away to Arbroath Dauntless on 30th September. Dauntless were reported to ‘have strengthened their forward line considerably and it wouldn’t have been for the want of trying if they didn’t get past the 1st round’.

The tie was at Gayfield and Tayport travelled by the 2.15pm boat to Broughty Ferry then onward to Gayfield for a 3.45pm kick off with the following team –

Coss; Cowley and A.Oswald; Campbell, Cowie and Butters; A.Rae, Wallace, Gray, J.Gray and Wilkie. Reserves were J.Caird, E.Oswald and N.Oswald.

It was good day for ‘Port, returning back over the Tay with a 2-1 win under their belts. According to the Tele, ‘Tayport had all the luck’. But the Arbroath Herald thought that ’the score represents the difference of the teams on play, Tayport being a little the better team’

The town’s interest in the team’s potential for a cup run was building as identified by the Evening Tele:

Round 2

Dundee Arnot v Tayport

A visit to Dundee to meet Dundee & District Junior League leaders Dundee Arnot at Stobsmuir on 28 October was Tayport’s 2nd round fate.

Tayport listed Coss; Cowley, A.Oswald; N.Oswald, J.C.Cowie and Campbell; A.Rae, Wallace, Gray, J. Rae and Wilkie. Reserve was C.Caird.

Wilkie had been out with East Fife the previous week and had impressed when the Fifers drew 2-1 with Dundee FC A in a Northern League match.

Tayport maintained their good form across the river and progressed to round 3…

Round 3

Norwood v Tayport

Another Dundee opponent for Tayport, this time away to Norwood, bottom of the Dundee & District League. The Coup was the venue on 25th November and Tayport, still defending an unbeaten run for the season, had just won successive cup-ties, left back Oswald netting a hat-trick in a 3-0 win at Crescent in the Telegraph Cup and Rae grabbing the winner in a seven goal thriller at St Andrews City.

Tayport travelled on the 1.35pm train for a 3.35pm kick-off [this was prior to Daylight Saving Time] on The Coup with Coss; Cowley and A.Oswald; N.Oswald, J.C.Cowie and Campbell; A.Rae, Wallace, Gray, J.Rae and Wilkie. Reserves were E.Oswald & C.Caird.

Taport were fancied to make the last 32 and this was duly achieved by a 3-0 winning margin.

As was often the situation in the 1900s, games were often not completed at the first time of asking. Games abandoned because of darkness, often caused through late arrivals, protests over alleged ineligible players and the inevitable drawn matches, frequently saw ties take three weeks to be completed.  There was however a different reason for the Rothesay Victoria v Vale of Glengarnock match to be replayed. The first tie was abandoned after 4 balls had burst during the game and no fifth ball was available!

Surprisingly, very few games were postponed in those days because of inclement weather conditions.  Rain, hail or snow and no hot showers, they just got on with it!

Round 4

Dundee Violet v Tayport

Only 4 local clubs now left in the competition, two of which, Violet and Tayport, were drawn together in the 4th round. The tie, on 22nd December at Fairmuir, was the match of the season to date on Tayside.

Tayport had warmed up for the big game by extending their unbeaten run for the season, knocking Carnoustie out of the Courier Cup, the Press describing Tayport ‘playing a rattling good game and entering the second round of the Courier Cup at Carrotopolis’ – a rather quaint label for the Angus town.

Tayport had travelled by boat to Broughty en route to Carnoustie but this week it was the 12.29 train from Tayport for the 2.15 kick-off at Fairmuir.

Junicus [my, hasn’t he aged well!] in his match preview, pointed out that ‘there is no doubt that they [Tayport] are going strong and the Dundee team will find in them tough customers and the game should be worth seeing. Tayport have had such a run of success that one is inclined to pin his faith in them although they have yet to meet no mean opponents’

Tayport were unchanged from the Carrotopolis game and fielded Coss; Cowley and A.Oswald; N.Oswald, Cowie and Campbell; A.Rae, Wallace, Gray, J.Rae and J.Wilkie. Reserves – Buttars and E.Oswald.

Dundee Violet selected Laburn; Monteith and Millar; Watson, Leith and Ogilvie; Craigie, Christie, Thomson, Duncan and Hutton.

The Cup progress of the Tayside clubs had not gone unnoticed and it was reported that ‘A Scottish selector is due at the Fairmuir this week to witness the Violet v Tayport tie’ Tayport emerged 3-1 winners and Monday’s Christmas Day Evening Telegraph commented…

Later in the week, perhaps tongue in cheek, Junicus noted that…

He was only 90 years off the mark!

Junicus continued…

No doubt post-match in 1905 as well as ninety years later, the same brewery’s sales would be given a boost by Tayport’s Scottish Cup exploits!

Round 5

Tayport v Duntocher Hibs

Saturday 27th January

Tayport had reached the last 16, the only cup survivors from north of the Forth, thus going where no Tayport club had gone before.

The full draw was

Arniston Rangers v Kirkintilloch Rob Roy

Burnbank Athletic v Blantyre Victoria

Dunipace v Benburb

Neilston Victoria v Maryhill

Newtongrange Star v Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic

Renfrew Victoria v Darvel

Tayport v Duntocher Hibs

Vale of Garnock Strollers v Kilbirnie Ladeside

Tayport didn’t have the best preparation for their big game, losing 3-2 to St Andrews City in the semi-final of the M’Arthur Cup at Kinness Park the previous Saturday and thus surrendering their unbeaten run for the season. According to a press report (below) the referee was something of a ‘homer’:

Duntocher Hibs from Clydebank had reached the last 16 the hard way, requiring a replay in every round and on two occasions requiring a second replay to progress, but were clear favourites.

The tie, on 27th January was clashing with the match at Dens Park where Dundee, defending a 14-game unbeaten run, were meeting Celtic in the ‘big’ Scottish Cup. It was feared the game at Dens, which would attract a then record attendance of 26,000, would affect the crowds at Junior games.  For this reason, all Junior games in the city were off.  Both Tayport and Duntocher appealed to the SJFA for an extension of a week to play their tie but were denied the privilege.

The tie went ahead on the East Common on what was certainly a busy weekend in Tayport. The Chancellor of the Exchequer and future Prime Minister Herbert Asquith was in town and attracted a full house in the Volunteer Hall [later the Picture House] for a pre-election speech.

Tayport were again unchanged but despite being urged on by a noisy home support, failed to make home advantage count and true to form Duntocher returned to Clydeside with a replay following a 1-1 draw. Right winger Alex Rae who had been selected for the Scottish Junior FA international trial, was Tayport’s scorer. Tayport 1-1 Duntocher Hibs

Fake News!

It had been reported earlier in the week that Tayport had intended scratching but this was not the case.

So, it was off to Duntocher for the replay on 3rd February, a match which had caught the imagination of the locals.

[Brake, a form of transport carrying 12 – 20 passengers]

Duntocher Hibs 9-1 Tayport

There are few details of the match but Tayport clearly imploded. A fairly even first half but the heads went down in the second period as Tayport crashed out of the competition.

After a hard-fought draw at home, how the team could lose a replay by such a margin was certainly a talking point back home. There must be a story there, but you’ll have to leave it to your imagination

….as it transpired, 23 years and Dundee Violet to be exact

Notwithstanding the Duntocher debacle, Tayport’s cup efforts hadn’t gone unnoticed by the Seniors and at the end of the season wingers John Wilkie and Alex Rae had signed for East Fife and Albert Oswald had signed for Dundee

Exactly 100 years later, in 2006, the Tayport FC of modern times would be back at Duntocher in a Scottish Junior Cup 6th round replay, eliminating Clydebank on penalty kicks before a crowd of 1,202.

Duntocher were drawn at home to Renfrew Victoria, the previous season’s beaten finalists, in the quarter final.  It was something of a local derby with the respective grounds separated by the River Clyde only 10 miles apart. The tie, which had caught the imagination of the locals, ended in a scoreless draw at Hill End Park.

However, controversary and the Scottish Junior Cup were often not too far removed in these days and trouble kicked off in the replay at Renfrew’s Western Park forcing the referee to abandon the game:

continued below…

Renfrew appealed and were awarded the tie but were eliminated in the semi-final by ultimate beaten finalists Kirkintilloch Rob Roy.


227 entries

Round 1        Tayport received a bye

Round 2        Tayport 3 – 4 Dundee Arnot

Arnot had eliminated Forfar Celtic by 3-1 at West Craigie Park, Dundee in round 1

After the excitement of the previous season the following season was disappointing, to say the least, with Tayport exiting the competition at the first hurdle.

Information regarding this match is pretty sketchy but Alex Rae was back from East Fife and the Tayport line-up was Coss; George and Campbell; N.Oswald, A.Rae and Caird; E.Oswald, Low, J.Rae, Gowans, and Gordon.

Arnot went on to eliminate Forfar West End in round 3 before losing 5-0 to Rockbank in Glasgow in round 4

Want to be sure to enjoy the Match? Then why not pop into the Dundee Tooth Depot and get that pesky tooth out – 1906 style!!

Next: time 1907/1908 and 1908/1909